Re: recommendation against publication of draft-cerpa-necp-02.txt

2000-04-09 14:50:02
At 01:39 PM 4/9/00 -0800, ned(_dot_)freed(_at_)innosoft(_dot_)com wrote:
>  However, I am
> fully in agreement that interception proxies imposed anyplace other
> than either endpoint of the connection is a Bad Idea, because a third

Exactly. And after having read this specification, I also think these issues
are glossed over.

> I'd have to vote against progressing it without language making this
> distinction as clear as possible.

Agreed. I think the right thing to do at this point is to revise the
specification. One possible approach, and the one I'd prefer, is to simply call
for NECP to only be used on the server side. Alternately, the distinction of

Let's remember that a major goal of these facilities is to get a user to a server that is 'close' to the user. Having interception done only at distant, localized server farm facilities will not achieve that goal.

Further, I'm unclear about the architectural difference between (and apologies if things don't quite line up):

client --> Internet -> ISP -> Intercept -> subnet1 -> Server1
                                        -> subnet2 -> Server2
                                        -> subnet3 -> Server3

versus

client --> Internet -> ISP -> Intercept -> Internet -> Server1
                                        -> Internet -> Server2
                                        -> Internet -> Server3

the location of the service could be made clearer and the perils of arbitrary
intermediate use spelled out.

Perhaps the issue is not location, but coherent administration?

I also see some technical issues in the protocol itself. For example, the
performance metric set seems inadequate, at least based on my past experience
with other load balancing systems. OTOH, the set is extensible, so this
could be corrected fairly easily.

This would seem to walk down the path of considering this spec as a BASIS for pursuing a standard?

(The usual caveats, proscriptions, etc. apply with respect to IETF change control. What we see now is likely not what they will get later...)

However, I don't see any of these technical issues as impediments to
publication as informational or experimental.

ack.

d/

=-=-=-=-=
Dave Crocker  <dcrocker(_at_)brandenburg(_dot_)com>
Brandenburg Consulting  <www.brandenburg.com>
Tel: +1.408.246.8253,  Fax: +1.408.273.6464
675 Spruce Drive,  Sunnyvale, CA 94086 USA