Re: breaking the IP model (or not)

2000-04-11 01:40:02
It's much worse than that.

In the End to End model, far too many of our problems require changing all the end systems to solve. However, that's extremely difficult to do, particularly as there is little or no incentive (the DCA/DISA had guns, and control of the IMPs in 1982/1983 to force the NCP->TCP/IP conversion - there is no equivalent agency today).

Almost all of the pressure created by the growth of the Internet is on the network operators and their vendors (e.g. router vendors), rather than on the users and the end systems (and the end system vendors, e.g. PCs, Macs, Suns, etc).

It's also bad that there is little or no integration of intermediate system vendors with end system vendors (or vice versa), because that results in insufficient sharing of information between those two industry segments. The IETF should be facilitating information exchange, but it isn't working as well as it should (otherwise we wouldn't have these problems, right?).

So, with nearly all the pressure on the operators and the vendors that serve them, the "solutions" they come up with are necessarily pretty ugly hacks (e.g. NAT, TCP spoofing, Firewalls) because they have to deal with the reality that they can't change the end systems themselves, or require them to be changed.

This is a structural problem. Until the situation changes, we're going to keep on seeing ugly hacks that do violence to the Internet architectural model deployed, marketed, touted as "solutions."

        an author of RFC 1627,

        Erik <fair(_at_)clock(_dot_)org>