Re: interception proxies

2000-04-12 11:10:03
Charles Lynn writes:

You have misread the specification.  That "source" is not (IP Header)
"Source Address" that you imply, but the "source" mentioned earlier in
the sentence, i.e., "address in the source route" (option).

Apparently so - though given that the part I emphasized immediately
follows mention of rewriting the destination address, this isn't
obvious.

[If you think about it, the interpretation you emphasized above will
not result in a capability for bi-directional communication.]

Actually, I've always thought that the first recorded-route address
was the original source address so the route would indeed be
reversible, but I'll admit to never having actually seen a recorded
route.

J. Noel Chiappa writes:

Pardon me if I emit a "balderdash".
They had great foresight, huh? The foresight to see the need for more
address bits (funnily enough, IP2.5 *had* this, and they *ripped it out* -
great vision there), traffic flows, etc (I could go on but what's the
point).

Yes, just what was your point?

However, let's not mythologize anything, OK? It gets in the way of
objective analysis.

Actually, the view that everything about IP was cast in stone forever
in the IP spec is exactly the view that is being argued about.

Would you settle for "The IP spec authors didn't have enough foresight
to foresee a need to rewrite source addresses" ? :)

Whatever anyone thinks of it, people are doing it.  On the right are
people saying it is immoral, evil, and dangerous, not to mention
prohibited by the gods, and they refuse to talk about it.  On the left
are people doing it, each their own way because there is no standard
and not even any public discussion.

Only a few months after I first used the net, IP replaced NCP, giving
me an instant impression that network protocols are ephemeral things,
replaceable if they don't measure up.  Presumably if they can be
replaced, they can be adapted when necessary.

--
Dick St.Peters, stpeters(_at_)NetHeaven(_dot_)com