Re: interception proxies

2000-04-12 20:50:02
] From: "Dick St.Peters" <stpeters(_at_)NetHeaven(_dot_)com>

] ...
] Actually, I've always thought that the first recorded-route address
] was the original source address so the route would indeed be
] reversible, but I'll admit to never having actually seen a recorded
] route. ...

Try `ping -R` between reasonable UNIX boxes on a private network,
and either use something like dbx or gdb to look at the bits that
`ping` gets or use tcpdump or similar to see the bits on the wire.

From: Salvador Vidal <svidal(_at_)lander(_dot_)es>

There are also good uses for interception, I think that ONGs, churchs, and
other organizations and people will want to become Internet trusters soon,

I'm not talking about the computers inside a organization, but people
computers anywhere that trust in these organizations or persons to do
censor, ranking to do their purchases decisions or whatever they want!, and
probabily some people want to have more than one truster and balance them.

So please, which will be the right tool for a truster service?

Please read the two WREC drafts to discover the technical meaning
of "interception proxy."  Interception proxies are useless in the
circumstances you care about.  An interception proxy can affect
only traffic directed to it by a router in the path between IP
peers (e.g. HTTP client and server).  Your "computers anywhere"
won't be using the very few routers that would intercept traffic
for your trustors and send it to your trustees.
I'm reminded of statements during the wiretapping dicussions that
imagined the Internet as a big phone system using a single CO in a room
somewhere in the The Netherlands.  That seems to be like the problem here.

An explicit proxy is the right tool for part of your goal.  Simply build
proxies that filters according to your taste, and then configure the HTTP
browsers of trusting people to use your proxies.  That solution has a
characteristic that is either a fatal flaw or an enormous virtue, depending
on your philosphy.  It is that using or ignoring your proxy would be the
choice of the people in charge of the client computers instead of those
in charge of the proxies.

For the rest of your goal, the parts that involve balancing evaluations
and choosing whom to trust, interception proxies are tools for the opposite
notions.  They are tools for authoritarian censoring, and that is
intrinsically opposed to people making their choices in trust, ranking,
balancing and so forth.  I also think you need to give up the idea of
having computers make value judgements, but maybe that's just my lack of
imagination.