Re: draft-ietf-nat-protocol-complications-02.txt

2000-04-25 16:20:02
On Tue, 25 Apr 2000 12:19:49 PDT, "David R. Conrad" said:
If it "isn't very good", try using the Internet without it for a bit.

In your view, what is it in the DNS protocol(s) that results in a lack of
reliability?

Actually, in my experience, the protocol isn't the biggest problem.  To
paraphrase an old joke - "95% of all automobile accidents are caused by
a mechanical failure - a loose nut behind the wheel".

It's like open mail relays - the majority of sites *wont* fix the
problem until the cost of fixing it is less than the pain of not
fixing it.  We had a number of hosts at our site listed in ORBS and
similar databases for MONTHS that cleaned up their act quickly once
they couldn't post to Listserv..

--
                                Valdis Kletnieks
                                Operating Systems Analyst