value of standards

2000-05-04 11:20:02
At 18:02 2000-05-04 Lillian Komlossy wrote:
The whole world will not switch over to Unix
- the average user will always be more confortable with Windows

The whole world might not be comfortable with Windows but many, many of my collegues around the world work at companies where they have absolutely no say on the choise of either OS or email client. The CIO/CTO (blame him or her instead!) (simply) made the (safest) decision and went for the Exchange/Outlook combo with added Office integration :-) And the users had no say whatsoever.

Rather than making fun of or scream "stupid", why don´t we keep developing and arguing for standard based 'solutions': because that's what ms is selling with a fair amount of success. Maybe TCO (total cost of ownership) calculations comparing "standard combos" with MS offering, taking virus downtime into account would help?

/peter

   "The sheepdog is shown its possibilities, he learns what life is
    like for a good dog and is invited to walk in a rational world
    whose farthest boundaries are defined by grace."
                                        --Donald McCaig, Nop's Hope

    peter(_at_)nou(_dot_)com              Nöu How, Firma
    Tel +46 70 515 7602        Stadshagsplan 10
    Fax +46 70 617 1602        112 50 Stockholm
    Cellular +46 70 515 7602