Re: THe Value Of Following Standards... (was Re: VIRUS WARNING)

2000-05-04 11:10:02
On Thu, 04 May 2000 10:41:34 EDT, "Michael H. Warfield" said:
      Your mailer may be able to display it as text (mine, Mutt, certainly
can) but it is definitely propagating as type application/octet-stream, not
text/plain.  Wish we could lay that one on them, but we can't.

Mea Culpa - seems *MY* MUA decided to be naughty and flag it as a
text/plain, so I reported it as such.  I'll shut up now while I
go and beat said MUA into submission and make it not lie to me anymore.

Yes, the data as it was actually stored in the message store was an
application/octet-stream.  However, that's not much better, security-wise.
(Although at least with an "application/foobar", you know that it's designed
for application foobar, and can appropriately sandbox your foobar-viewer).

--
                                Valdis Kletnieks
                                Operating Systems Analyst