Re: VIRUS WARNING

2000-05-04 20:50:03

  Hmm.. the Morris worm of 1988.  What are the other 2?

Piers Dick Lauder and Bob Kummerfeld implemented Mail/sendfile *(_at_)*
(yes, wildcards both sides of the user(_at_)host name form) in ACSnet prior
to this. It was designed to be used amongst other things, to do s/w updates
to all ACSnet subscribers. And it worked over IP as well as an applications
layer over TCP/IP, gated into sendmail.

The one time I saw them use it, it killed my sendmail by n->n*m explosion
of outbound mails. And as soon as I deleted one from mqueue, another 20
came in.

Mike Lesk claimed UUCP was invented for similar reasons and I seem to recall
some more than proof of concept uux methods to re-create forwarding data but
thats probably never been exploited in an IP network.

Then there are the checkgroups message flows in News...

cheers
        -George
--
George Michaelson         |  DSTC Pty Ltd
Email: ggm(_at_)dstc(_dot_)edu(_dot_)au    |  University of Qld 4072