RE: IPv6: Past mistakes repeated?

2000-05-10 11:40:03
Vinton retiring to a cabin in Montana? (......this is ominous......vaguely
horrifying visions based on the "War Games" come flitting by......) Will you
be leaving us any WOPRs in IPv6? :-)

                -----Original Message-----
                From:   vinton g. cerf [mailto:vcerf(_at_)MCI(_dot_)NET]
                Sent:   Wednesday, May 10, 2000 5:56 AM
                To:     jdunn(_at_)yipes(_dot_)com; 'Paul Robinson'; 'Tripp
Lilley'
                Cc:     'Keith Moore'; 'Greg Skinner'; ietf(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org
                Subject:        RE: IPv6: Past mistakes repeated?

                At 10:39 AM 5/8/2000 -0700, Jim Stephenson-Dunn wrote:
                >No! We don't want to fix the holes! We want to keep a
record of them
                >without telling the admins, and when they misbehave, not
only can we pop
                >their kneecaps, set fire to their house, release
information to their
                >families they wouldn't want to be released, but also as a
grand finale,
                >we can take control of the machine and do what we wanted
anyway.
                >Eventually, we as the IETF would have complete control of
every machine
                >connected to the Internet, thereby giving us control of the
entire
                >planet, which in turn would allow us to park wherever we
wanted and
                >*not*get*a*ticket*!!!!!! :-)

                Dang! Jim's gone and uncovered my nefarious retirement plan.
Now I'll
                have to think of something else :-(

                Jim, you left out the "Nyah-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha!" part...

                vint

                p.s. apologies to IETF list for cluttering with this. It
just slipped out.

                I moved to a new MCI WorldCom facility on Nov 11, 1999

                MCI WorldCom
                22001 Loudoun County Parkway
                Building F2, Room 4115, ATTN: Vint Cerf
                Ashburn, VA 20147
                Telephone (703) 886-1690
                FAX (703) 886-0047

                "INTERNET IS FOR EVERYONE!"
                See you at INET2000, Yokohama, Japan July 18-21, 2000
                http://www.isoc.org/inet2000