Re: IPv6: Past mistakes repeated?

2000-05-08 15:20:02
In message
<200005082145(_dot_)RAA18032(_at_)ginger(_dot_)lcs(_dot_)mit(_dot_)edu>, "J.
Noel Chiappa" writes
:
   > From: Greg Skinner <gds(_at_)best(_dot_)com>

   > There was a similar discussion here about five years ago where some
   > people proposed market models for address allocation and routing.
   > Unfortunately, it's not in the archives.

I think it was on CIDRD, actually, no?

   > If anyone has this discussion archived, could they please point me to
   > it?

Well, one thing I do have is the draft of: "Suggestions for Market-Based
Allocation of IP Address Blocks", by Paul Resnick (then of AT&T Research, I
don't know where he is now - Paul, you out there?), which I have at:

   http://ana-3.lcs.mit.edu/~jnc/tech/addr_charging.txt

It never turned into an RFC (shame, I thought it was a really well thought
out draft), and I don't think it's anywhere else permanent.

See http://www.research.att.com/~smb/papers/piara/index.html, by Paul,
Yakov Rekhter, and myself.

                --Steve Bellovin