Re: IPv6: Past mistakes repeated?

2000-05-07 19:00:02
Heh.

I know someone who wants to offer a class B at seven figures and for class B's
that "sold" for 5 figures.  And you say addresses have no value.

Ah, nostalgia.  It's so nice to revisit old "discussions"...

Rgds,
-drc

Bill Manning wrote:

Sigh,
        Please -NOT- the PIARA again. There is near zero value in the
number/address and very real value in the routing slot. Perhaps it is
best to simply have ebone route filter on the /16 boundaries to drive
home your point. (being cranky this morning)

% I would like to see a market develop for IPv4 addresses, along the
% lines of the late PIARA work.   This would also encourage a
% market for routing-table entries, both of which would produce a significant
% incentive to dramatically improve upon on-the-fly host-renumbering.
%
%       Sean.
%
% P.S. by "routing-table entries", I mean of course, not just the
%      consumption of memory and CPU resources in forwarding packets
% in to large numbers of possible destinations, but also the cost
% in various resources (bandwidth, CPU, complexity) of acquiring
% and propagating information which may lead to routing-table changes.
%
%

--
--bill

-
This message was passed through ietf+censored(_at_)alvestrand(_dot_)no, which
is a sublist of ietf(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org(_dot_) Not all messages are passed.
Decisions on what to pass are made solely by Harald Alvestrand.