Re: IPv6: Past mistakes repeated?

2000-05-09 06:30:02

 Anyone want to by a 3? :)
 The value is not the number but its percived routablity.

%
% Heh.
%
% I know someone who wants to offer a class B at seven figures and for class B's
% that "sold" for 5 figures.  And you say addresses have no value.
%
% Ah, nostalgia.  It's so nice to revisit old "discussions"...
%
% Rgds,
% -drc
%
% Bill Manning wrote:
% >
% > Sigh,
% >         Please -NOT- the PIARA again. There is near zero value in the
% > number/address and very real value in the routing slot. Perhaps it is
% > best to simply have ebone route filter on the /16 boundaries to drive
% > home your point. (being cranky this morning)
% >
% > % I would like to see a market develop for IPv4 addresses, along the
% > % lines of the late PIARA work.   This would also encourage a
% > % market for routing-table entries, both of which would produce a
significant
% > % incentive to dramatically improve upon on-the-fly host-renumbering.
% > %
% > %       Sean.
% > %
% > % P.S. by "routing-table entries", I mean of course, not just the
% > %      consumption of memory and CPU resources in forwarding packets
% > % in to large numbers of possible destinations, but also the cost
% > % in various resources (bandwidth, CPU, complexity) of acquiring
% > % and propagating information which may lead to routing-table changes.
% > %
% > %
% >
% > --
% > --bill
% >
% > -
% > This message was passed through ietf+censored(_at_)alvestrand(_dot_)no,
which
% > is a sublist of ietf(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org(_dot_) Not all messages are passed.
% > Decisions on what to pass are made solely by Harald Alvestrand.
%

--
--bill