Re: PIARA (IP address space economics)

2000-05-09 01:40:02
Sean;

|     <draft-ohta-address-allocation-00.txt>

While I agree with you that the current usage-based allocation
system is wrong, your draft's "Assignment Plan" (not more restricted)
proposes to continue an anti-market single-seller model for IP
addresses of both IPv4 and IPv6 flavours.   There is no scope
for negotiating with the monopoly seller, given this tariff.

Where in our draft, do you think, IPv6 address allocation
policies are suggested? Can you quote the text?

I, personally, think IPv6 routing table entries must be limited
(to let end systems have a global routing table not to rely on
intelligent intermediate systems) and should be sold in market
(an imortant question is who sets the limit). But, it is an issue
unrelated to the draft on IPv4 address allocation.

For IPv4 addresses, as IPv4 is hopeless, it is unimportant whether
their allocation is anti-market or not.

                                                        Masataka Ohta