RE: VIRUS WARNING

2000-05-11 11:00:03
Lillian,
        I am not so sure I totally agree. Why exactly do we need HTML based
e-mail...Is it really necessary? E-mail is a service for transmitting a
written message, and written messages certainly don't require background
graphics or a full blown graphically based webpage.

        There are a few reasons why I believe this, one of the most compelling
IMHO
is that graphic content in e-mails increases the size of the e-mail
exponentially, thus greatly contributing to the packet congestion already
extremely evident on the Internet today. I realize that we are developing
new technologies all the time that increase bandwidth, but I think its
terribly inefficient, and dangerous.

        There is no practical need for html e-mail. It like saying I want to
use a
tractor trailer to commute to work everyday, but it needs to consume only as
much gas as an eco car, and go as fast a Ferrari.

Scot

-----Original Message-----
From: Lillian Komlossy [mailto:Lillian(_at_)dmnews(_dot_)com]
Sent: Thursday, May 11, 2000 11:13 AM
To: 'Scot Mc Pherson'
Cc: 'ietf(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org'
Subject: RE: VIRUS WARNING

Scot,

While what you say is true - meaning an all-text restriction on your email
browser will prevent
"dangerous goods" to be downloaded - it also takes away functionality. We
have to find a way to
be able to use html based email but restrict it from - say running scripts,
executing anything,
writing cookies, issuing queries, etc... Until that happens, you're right -
html based email
is like a runaway train. We have to invent the "brakes" now.

Lillian Komlossy
Site Manager
http://www.dmnews.com
http://www.imarketingnews.com