Re: VIRUS WARNING

2000-05-12 10:10:02
On Fri, May 12, 2000 at 12:04:08PM -0400, chris d koeberle wrote:
On Fri, 12 May 2000 Valdis(_dot_)Kletnieks(_at_)vt(_dot_)edu wrote:
Incidentally, this is exactly the same issue as "attach a file to an e-mail"
versus "send the recipient a note, copy the file to a ftp/web server, wait
for him to retrieve it, and then remember to clean it up afterwards".

Only if the e-mail client in question automatically executes the attached
file.

Indeed, I don't think any of the people who are complaining about the
"HTML in e-mail" issues would complain about someone sending an e-mail
with an HTML file as an attachment.  At least, not as I understand their
arguments against it.

        Wrong...

        We object to is so strenuously that we've added global blocking
filters to majordomo at our site in "taboo-body".  We've had one two
many come through with a hostile java script worm in it and then
had a few dozen people complain that we're distributing viruses and
a few hundred get burned by it.  BTW...  The site in question has
over 70 mailing lists with almost 50,000 unique addresses subscribed
to one or more lists.  We can't tolerate html on the mailing lists
at all, if for no other reason than the administrative headache that
occurs when hostile content (active or not) propagates over any of the
lists.

At any rate, it is certainly not "exactly the same issue" - people have
expounded upon the differences already.

-=I would imagine that if 1000 Rwandan's were hacked to death AT THE EXPO,
people would sure have raised a stink.=-

        Mike
--
 Michael H. Warfield    |  (770) 985-6132   |  mhw(_at_)WittsEnd(_dot_)com
  (The Mad Wizard)      |  (770) 331-2437   |  http://www.wittsend.com/mhw/