RE: VIRUS WARNING

2000-05-11 11:30:03
Scot,

ITA we do not need the HTML email for our everyday use.
HTML based email is mainly used by the Email-Newsletter companies, (i.e.
Whitehat,
Exactis, etc...) especially for advertising purposes.
We can argue that we don't need it but in reality, these companies
live off the daily newsletters they send out. I believe all of these
newsletters
are being sent out to people who actually subscribed to receive them.
While the reason is mainly commercial it cannot be ignored. As far as the
bandwidth is concerned - most of those HTML emails don't actually email the
images
but rather display it via a link from their own server. (Which of course
does not help
bandwidth matters especially if first the run it through a logging agent).
I believe the problem starts when somebody writes an HTML email that can
retrieve,
write or execute anything on the receiving client's system.
I agree with you - it is contradictory. So is every new technology, even the
more
tangible ones. I'll bet once everybody agreed that there is no need for the
automobile, horses will do fine -  but now we want to take our
tractor-trailer
to work, on an eco-car style gas-burn, and speed as fast as a Ferrari. Go
figure.

Lillian Komlossy
Site Manager
http://www.dmnews.com