Re: RFCs in print

2000-06-01 19:20:02
I am particularly interested in hearing about whether such collections are
helpful or not. And if not, what would be more helpful.

not having seen the collections I can't comment about them specifcally.

but in general this seems like a very good idea, provided that the books
make it clear that many of these standards are continually evolving,
and if they provide pointers (URLs etc) to where readers can find current
information on important topics.  (e.g. the IETF web page, the
RFC Index, IANA.ORG, relevant {ex-}WG mailing lists etc.)

my biggest concern would be that folks implement the standards "by the
book" when the book is a few years old, without taking into account
more recent wisdom.

of course, if the books get updated and republished every couple of years
(which seems fairly frequent by print standards), that's also a good thing.

Keith