RE: Suggest a good email server pls

2000-06-16 08:30:02

-----Original Message-----
From: Valdis(_dot_)Kletnieks(_at_)vt(_dot_)edu
[mailto:Valdis(_dot_)Kletnieks(_at_)vt(_dot_)edu]
Sent: Friday, June 16, 2000 4:47 PM
To: Faheem Ahmed Khan
Cc: ietf(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org
Subject: Re: Suggest a good email server pls

On Fri, 16 Jun 2000 11:51:44 +0530, Faheem Ahmed Khan
<Faheemak(_at_)talisma(_dot_)com>  said:
Can anybody suggest a good mail server on Unix pls. We are
currently using
SIMS 2.0 from SUN and need one more other than this.

Could you explain *why* you need "one more other"?  We're
currently using
SIMS 3.5 for a fairly large organization (some 60K mailboxes,
and we just
barely missed hitting 2 million POP checks/day at the end of
the semester),
on a E6500.  There's things we don't like, but it *does* get
the job done
for us.  If you were more specific regarding the lacks, and
whether you've
already checked into whether upgrading from 2.0 to 3.5 doesn't address
your concerns, we might be able to give better suggestions...

Somebody suggested QMail - the problem is that under high
volumes, it *isnt*

No, it is used by Hotmail, USA.net, Yahoo! mail :-)..

the sending of mail that will get you - it's all the Eudora
users who keep
checking their mail - you need a good/fast POP service more
than you need
fast mail delivery.  I don't believe QMail has a POP service....

No, vpopmail, qmail-pop3d etc...

--
                              Valdis Kletnieks
                              Operating Systems Analyst