Re: CAUCE and DMA

2000-06-16 11:00:03
To be perfectly honest, the relation between CAUCE (Coalition Against
Unsolicited Commercial Email) and the DMA (Direct Marketers' Assocation)
makes perfect sense.  Spam has a negative effect on profits of members of
the DMA, because DMA members do their business through postal mail.
Therefore, elimination of spam makes perfect sense for the DMA.

Regards,
Kurt Weber
kurt(_at_)rowsw(_dot_)com
ROW Software and Web Design
http://www.rowsw.com

----- Original Message -----
From: "Keith Moore" <moore(_at_)cs(_dot_)utk(_dot_)edu>
To: <ietf(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org>
Cc: <moore(_at_)cs(_dot_)utk(_dot_)edu>
Sent: Friday, June 16, 2000 11:14 AM
Subject: CAUCE and DMA

A couple of people have pointed out in private email that I should
not have posted my understanding of CAUCE's relationship with DMA
without substantiation.

Personally I don't see how such things can ever be substantiated
anyway - it seems to be the nature of politics that you rarely
have verifiable information about anything.

However the information I have is approximately a year old.
And it is of course possible that the information I was told was wrong,
or that I misinterpreted it, or that the CAUCE folks have backed off
from supporting the DMA in the past year.

Naturally I hope I was wrong or misinformed about CAUCE - because
I would far rather believe that they're on the side of good.  But
I've seen too much dirty stuff in general to be that optimistic
about *any* organization.

In any case, I hope that net-knowledgable US citizens will *personally*
read this bill (make sure you read the latest amended version) and
*personally* let their congresscritters understand how they feel about
the bill itself and spam in general.

Even if CAUCE is well-intentioned, don't trust them to deliver the message
alone.

Keith