RE: fyi.. House Committee Passes Bill Limiting Spam E-Mail

2000-06-19 11:10:02

On Mon, 19 Jun 2000, Book, Robert wrote:

      I would think it fairly evident that spam is in the eye of the
beholder. I suspect that a popular resolution would, therefore, need to
provide the receiver with control over the type of information allowed
through a personal filter. This could be implemented by defining a key field
with a range of values and refinements universally understood by all email
packages. For instance, if an email header were read to determine that it
contained an advertisement of a product within a specific product line and
the email client could be optioned by the receiver as to the desired
disposition of an email (to include sending  it directly to the bit bucket)
with that classification, the receiver is given control and, so long as the
system is honored by the senders of the email, minimal umbrage on the part
of the receivers of email. Spam might then be redefined as email which did
not follow the classification convention.

Simply because one chooses to be on the Internet, surely is not required
one to incur the cost of others' business methods. If one (the receiver)
pays network costs and one does not wish to receive UCE, then why should
one incur any cost (bandwidth usage, registration, whatever) of receiving
UCE even to reject it?

-dpg