Re: The Non-IETF Informational RFC Publication Fiction

2000-06-27 09:40:02

On Tue, 27 Jun 2000 15:48:50 GMT, Bob Braden <braden(_at_)ISI(_dot_)EDU>
said:

  Mohsen>
  Mohsen> The Real component is that IETF/IESG/IAB is well on its way towards
  Mohsen> becoming a cult violating all published procedures. IETF/IESG/IAB now
  Mohsen> claims full ownership of the RFC Publication process and quashes
  Mohsen> whatever may want to compete with it or that it does not
  Mohsen> like. IETF/IESG/IAB often inserts notes in Non-IETF Informational RFCs
  Mohsen> which go above and beyond the scope and purpose of IESG
  Mohsen> review. IETF/IESG/IAB often regards the RFC-Editor as merely its
  Mohsen> agent. IESG/IAB has become a group of irresponsible volunteers who
  Mohsen> consider themselves accountable to no one.
  Mohsen>

  Bob> Mohsen,

  Bob> One of the advantages of becoming a geezer is that you get to say what
  Bob> you REALLY think.  However, good taste prevents my telling you in public
  Bob> what I REALLY think about your message.

  Bob> I would like to remind you that, had the RFC Editor been "a mere
  Bob> agent" of the IESG, your EMSD RFC 2524 would not have been
  Bob> published at all.

That is true.

In the case of RFC-2524, the RFC Editor did demonstrate
independence. I believe I also played a significant role in
establishing the RFC Editor's independence based on my insistence on
doing it by the book.

Complete communication records related to publication of RFC-2524 are
available through http://www.emsd.org/

In the case of RFC-2188, the RFC Editor did *nothing* and just waited
for the IESG for more than 7 months. That is well documented.

I have heard of various other reports of IESG's interference. See DJB's
case study for example ...

My exact words were:

  Mohsen> IETF/IESG/IAB often regards the RFC-Editor as merely its agent.
                        ^^^^^

That is why I said, "often".

...Mohsen.