Re: precedence field and mailing lists

2000-07-14 01:10:01
On Thu, Jul 13, 2000 at 11:33:31PM +0100, Lloyd Wood wrote:
On Thu, 13 Jul 2000, Vernon Schryver wrote:

From: Doug Royer <Doug(_dot_)Royer(_at_)SOFTWARE(_dot_)COM>
Could you please point me at the standards (or otherwise) documents
that describe the semantics of 'Precedence:'?  It sounds interesting
but I just can't seem to find out what you mean or expect it to do.

`man vacation` on any modern BSD-like UNIX box should say something like:
   No message will be sent unless login (or an alias supplied using the -a
   option) is part of either the ``To:'' or ``Cc:'' headers of the mail.

Over the past few weeks I've been replying to a number
of vacation mails sent to me as a result of posting here with:

I sent mail to a mailing list. Not to you. Your autoreply software
should only reply to mail explicitly To: or Cc: you.

        This breaks for mail aliases. Perhaps, if you are root on
a unix machine, you might want someone sending mail to that address
to know you are away?

        Austin