Re: precedence field and mailing lists

2000-07-14 07:40:03
At 00.04 -0700 00-07-14, Austin Schutz wrote:
 > I sent mail to a mailing list. Not to you. Your autoreply software
 > should only reply to mail explicitly To: or Cc: you.

        This breaks for mail aliases. Perhaps, if you are root on
a unix machine, you might want someone sending mail to that address
to know you are away?

Not at all. You tell your favorite vacation software what aliases it should reply to. If you have a unix system, see the manual page for vacation. This after of course having the mail to root go to your private mailbox.

Example:

# cat .forward
\paf,"| vacation -a root(_at_)example(_dot_)net -u paf"
# uname -a
SunOS nix 5.5.1 Generic_103640-24 sun4m sparc SUNW,SPARCstation-20
# man vacation
Reformatting page.  Wait... done

vacation(1)               User Commands               vacation(1)

NAME
     vacation - reply to mail automatically

SYNOPSIS
     vacation [ -I ]
     vacation [ -j ] [ -a alias ] [ -tN ] username
:
:
:
     -a alias   Indicate that alias is one of the  valid  aliases
               for  the  user  running  vacation,  so  that  mail
               addressed to that alias generates a reply.
:
:
:

   paf