Re: precedence field and mailing lists

Something can be 'standard' and never used by anyone. Something can be
used by everyone and never a 'standard'.

Perhaps according to the Church of De Jure Standards.

Well according to those in the IETF (This mailing list you keep
sending to). Did you expect the ietf(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org mailing list
to say everything is a standard just because someone wants it to be?

When in Rome do as the Romans.

When on an IETF mailing list, the language and definitions are
defined in RFC's. They are (at least) Experimental, Informational,
Standards Track, and Standard as defined by the IETF RFC's.

I mean AOL's protocols, applications, and other computer stuff which meet
the definition of "standard" in http://www.m-w.com/ by being "established
by authority, custom, or general consent as a model or example."

I still seem to be missing your point. Is it that you wish to change the
IETF to be more like the AOL chat rooms?

The consent and custom of 23,000,000 people and the authority of AOL meet
all three of those dictionary requirements.  They don't and should not
meet modern IETF requirements for standards track RFCs, but I suspect that
if (perhaps a big 'if') they met technical muster, they would have been
accepted 18 or 20 years ago by the ad hoc group that preceded the IETF.

Again, why are you posting to this group list if you do not
respect its processes? If you are attempting to change something,
then maybe I missed your proposal.

-Doug