Re: more on IPv6 address space exhaustion

2000-08-14 13:40:02
Sean Dorin wrote:

Eh?  I can assure you that my colleagues and I will defend the
brand value of, for example, ebone.net, by only delegating subdomains
to Approved Entities.  I am sure this  is true of IBM.COM, and could
be true of a hypothetical owner of e.g. kids.tm or .kids.

This could be done in the case of Country/region code TLDs under the control of the individual registries. It couldn't be done fairly the case of the 'international' TLDs such as .COM .NET and .ORG or any new non-country/region specific names because no two countries would agree on the interpretation of the guidelines.

If it was pushed through it would have the result that one state, the US, would be dictating what is right and good to the rest of the world. The definition of acceptable is completely different in the US and Saudi-Arabia for example.

The same is true of picking address pairs for 'kid safe' connections. The criteria for acceptable systems can only be based on the national laws and network addresses allocated to each country concerned. This means that the administrator of a system in China may decide that the Australian definition of 'Children safe' was OK but would block the networks in France and the UK.

<snip>

No, no, they are really on to something.  They should push for:

        1/ a formal policy that makes a string of numbers an
           item of intellectual property (following 1-800-FLOWERS example)
In which country, are numbers intellectual property everywhere ?

        2/ an entity which is "kids safe" to be granted sole use
           of a particular IPv6 routing prefix, and which will advertise
           the existence of this "kids safe" prefix to all and sundry,
           and will facilitate the use of addresses from within the prefix
by approved "kids safe" hosts, by -- including but not limited to --
             i/ forming a virtual topology to which "kids-safe" hosts, sites,
                or ISPs can connect (a la 6bone)
            ii/ negotiating with ISPs the carriage of globally-visible
                subnets of the "kids-safe" prefix in some future "native"
                IPv6 internet, if and only if the "kids-safe" protection
                body approves the delegation of a complete subnet

Fine for one country in their allocated address space but not internationally. I guess you could look at peering arrangements, more administration .....

        3/ the adoption by the IETF of a "pre-fabricated" source/destination
           address pair selection algorithm which will at the very least:

                -- always choose the "kids-safe" source address
                   (when sending SYNs to web servers, for example)
                -- raise an alarm or reject connections which are
                   not to or from a "kids-safe" source or destination

Make it a generic algorithm which matches number ranges. This can then be used and interpreted as desired wherever it is needed.

It is very clear that IPv6's approach to multihoming is infinitely
superior to IPv4 + CIDR's multihoming scheme, and I am glad to see
that even politicians recognize the opportunities that arise as
a result of this wonderful new technology.

Politicians recognising the opportunities, fine so long as they realise that it is an international issue. Perhaps they should set up a load of conferences to determine an agreed and unambiguous definition of 'Acceptable' - that should keep them from doing too much damage for a long time.

Andy