Re: more on IPv6 address space exhaustion

2000-08-14 14:40:02
Mike Trutkowski writes:

| Maybe I read this wrong... but it sounds like you are
| tieing a domain name to domain content?  Is this true?

No, I am tying a domain's acceptable use policy to the
registered owner of the domain.   One possible AUP requires
that any data associated with any of its subdomains is compliant
with some criterion or other.

For example, data associated with "cisco.com" is supposed to
advance the interests of the investors in Cisco Systems Inc.,
and I'd guess there are rules about what clearly does not do so,
and trangressors are separated from the domain in one way or another.

Extending this to (as a hypothetical example) "guaranteedsafe4kids.com"
does not seem to be that much of a stretch -- if you violate the rules
of the use of the domain, you are separated from it in one way or another.

What a committee with the fellow behind PSI (an ISP, no less!) on it
is proposing is clever: use the same general principle with a range
of IPv6 addresses.  If you violate the rules, you are separated
from the prefix.   In combination ".kids" or the like, and a particular
well-known IPv6 prefix, seems like a superior form of partitioning
bad people away from the "Kid-Safe Internet" than merely using the DNS.
Moreover, by managing its address space, an entity like "disney.com"
would not also have to manage "disney.guaranteedsafe4kids.com".  They
just simply add yet another IPv6 address to the interfaces of their
various machines, which is how IPv6 multihoming works, and PRESTO!, they
are in the kid-safe address space, assuming they have logical connectivity
to the rest of the kid-safe address space, or announce a subnet of it
to the world at large.   A DNS AAAA lookup then returns perhaps
several addresses, one of which will be in the kid-safe TLA.

Consider the IPv6 [SELECT] draft -- if you have an algorithm in
your host which allows only "kid-safe" connections (e.g., if you get
back several AAAA RRs, discard any that are not "kid-safe") -- then
you can connect to the "www.disney.com" servers (and they to you),
but not to the "www.veryhotsexnow.com" ones, since either they
would not have AAAA RRs in the first place, or those addresses
would not be reachable on the Internet.

I can imagine a range of "ratings" being handled in this way.
Therefore, IPv6 is wonderful because it allows for a full-fledged
V-Chip Connectivity Policy, thanks to the difference between
the way it handles multihoming from classical IPv4.

        Sean.