Re: getting IPv6 space without ARIN (Re: PAT )

2000-08-16 16:40:02
Hi,

  This is a red-herring.

Actually, it's not.  People are complaining that it is hard to get v6
addresses from the regional registries when (a) it is in fact easy (many
argue too easy) and (b) in fact they shouldn't be getting them from the
registries in the first place since v6 uses provider based addressing.
Only transit providers (whatever they are) should be getting v6
addresses from the registries.  Everyone else should be getting their
addresses from their (IPv6) upstream provider.  If an (IPv6) upstream
provider does not exist, then any set of numbers will do as the site
will have to renumber when it does get an (IPv6) upstream provider.

  a) my service provider isn't IPv6 ready.

Just curious (honestly), but have you indicated to them that you'd
really like them to be v6 ready?

I am doubtful that any of them
will be for a long time as far as I can tell. I will be building a
tunnels for a long time.

Then you should get the address space from your tunnel provider.

  b) in the situation where I am using IPv6 instead of RFC1597, then
        my address can't be topologically significant.

If you're using this in the context of private networks, then any set of
numbers would do.  Why not pick one at random?

  c) multihoming.

If you are multihoming then you should get addresses from each of your
(tunnel) providers.  Unless, of course, you are doing this in the
context of 1918 private networks, in which case it doesn't matter what
addresses you use.

Rgds,
-drc