Re: Deployment vs the IPv6 community's ambivalence towards large providerss

2000-08-23 18:30:02
Vint;

I hope I will be forgiven for adding another message to this
long thread.

1. we have to discuss the practical problems of deploying IPv6 and especially
a bunch of corner cases or it won't work.

2. there are still a lot of "holes" in my opinion that need filling in any
credible deployment scenario - and we'll learn the most from trying to get
serious, operational IPv6 networks up and running.

That's an easier half of the problem.

When I visited a major router vendor in last June and asked about
IPv6 support, the answer was that it will be supported IPv6 at the
end of next year, because it involves a lot of software work,
even though their hardware is ready.

They, then, asked me which of the complex feaures of IPv6, such as
tunneling or NAT-like capability, should be supported.

3. the ietf general list is probably the wrong place for further extended
discusssion

Maybe. But it means that entire IETF is the wrong place. Here is a
better place than IPNG WG committee list, where removal of features
can not be accepted.

                                                        Masataka Ohta