Re: getting IPv6 space without ARIN (Re: PAT )

2000-08-24 23:30:02
Brian;

I agree with Brian Carpenter,
"We expect millions of those during v6/v4 coexistence."
Hakik.

So back to my original question, which apparently none of
the IPv6-Leaders liked:

  -- if we are doing tunnels which follow a logical
     topology rather than a physical one,
  -- why don't we have support for multihoming to
     different logical topologies

We should. But multihoming is still a hard problem and we are
still working on it in IPNGWG.

Multihoming is not a hard problem.

None the less, IPNG WG have been working on it in vain only to make
protocols complex, because it is working for a wrong direction.

Multihoming does not scale and is not reliable, if it is offered by
intelligent intermediate systems.

IPv4 multihoming does not scale and is not reliable, because it is
offered by intelligent routing systems.

Multihoming scales and is reliable and easy, if it is offered end to
end by intelligent end systems, transport/application protocols on
which directly handles all the multiple IP addresses from DNS
(and mobility).

However, partly because the committee has worked too much to a wrong
direction to offer multihoming by intelligent intermediate systems
and partly because the committee decided to minimize code modification,
it is likely that they can't accept the fact of internetworking that
only end-to-end approach scales and will keep working for the current
direction.

See

        draft-ohta-e2e-multihoming-00.txt

   This memo describes the architecture of end to end multihoming.
   End to end multihoming does not burden routing system for
   multihoming.  That is, even extensive use of end to end multihoming
   does not increase the number of entries in a global routing table.

   Traditionally with IPv4, multihoming capability is offered by an
   intelligent routing system, which, as is always the case with
   violating the end to end principle, lacks scalability on a global
   routing table size and robustness against link failures.

   On the other hand, with end to end multihoming, multihoming is
   supported by transport (TCP) or application layer (UDP etc.) of end
   systems and does not introduce any problem in the network and works
   as long as there is some connectivity between the end systems.

   Because end to end multihoming is performed in end systems, the
   architecture needs no routing protocol changes. Instead, APIs and
   applications must be modified to some extent.

for more details.

                                                Masataka Ohta