RE: Topic drift Re: An Internet Draft as reference material

2000-09-28 22:50:03
At 02:43 PM 9/28/00 -0700, Christian Huitema wrote:
Hear, hear! In fact, we may want to create a procedure for "instant
historical" publication, that would take such drafts and publish them as RFC
because we believe that they mark important points in the public debate, and
because we want to ensure that the experience is maintained. Like, a group

This is an interesting suggestion, particularly because it highlights the question about RFC publication benefit for non-standards documents.

In other words, what is the real benefit in RFC publication, versus I-D distribution, with retrieval possible after the I-D expires?

We simply must have post-expiration access to all I-Ds, for the reasons that have been discussed. Hence, what is the incremental benefit of publishing an expired, non-standard I-D as an RFC?

d/