Re: Topic drift Re: An Internet Draft as reference material

2000-09-30 21:10:02
% Eric Brunner-Williams wrote:
% >
% > > And what WG?  Internet Drafts were and are generated by Individuals w/o
% > > benefit of an associated WG.
% >
% > Precisely my point to Grenville.
%
% Our discussion had nothing to do with who the question of who
% *generates* I-Ds, but what makes them valid on an ongoing basis.
%
% gja

A key point about validity is the agreement btwn author(s) and the IETF.
Once the timer expires, the ID is not valid, as an ID. The IETF has lost
its chance to "capture" the information in the IETF process. IMHO, this
includes such IETF structures as WG, IESG, ADs, IAB, Secretary, et.al.
The information reverts to the author(s).

--bill