RE: Rechartering WREC

2000-10-09 09:40:02

Hello Mark,

I understand the points you are raising. First off, I support the idea of
doing this sort of work in the IETF vs competitive commercial interest
groups. It is in the Internet's best interest to have all the "competitive
parties" come together in the IETF to work on architecture and protocols
that will further the Internet's success. Right now that is not happening.

Second, there is a lot of history behind the WREC that we do not need to
rehash (i.e. the end-to-end dogma battles). It is for this reason that I
would like to see WREC finish it's work and close down. But that is my
opinion - hence a rechartering discussion should be scheduled at the next
WREC meeting.

Lastly, stacking all the various pieces of work into one WG would be too
cumbersome - bogging down the WG. IMHO - it would be better to break the
work apart into several WGs. If you look at the history of successful WGs,
the most successful WGs (i.e. things that reach draft standard status) have
been single protocol - single issue WGs. So if the
Caching/Replication/CDN/Content/ISP/Co-Location community would like to see
things reach draft standard stage, it would be in the community's best
interest to think about narrowly focused WGs working on specific
protocols/problems. If necessary, a WG just to address the architecture
could be chartered to keep all the pieces of work coordinated. Yes, there
would be push back about "too many WGs," But the community has had to do
this in the past and it can do it again.

So .... I think there should be a "CDN" BOF at the next IETF that will have
several people walk down the list of work that think could be addressed in
IETF WGs. And, WREC should meet - work on closure on the existing work - and
have a discussion on rechartering. At that point, people should start
proposing WGs to the Applications Area Directors.

Barry