RE: Rechartering WREC

2000-10-10 00:10:02
At 09.27 -0700 00-10-09, Barry Raveendran Greene wrote:
So .... I think there should be a "CDN" BOF at the next IETF that will have
several people walk down the list of work that think could be addressed in
IETF WGs. And, WREC should meet - work on closure on the existing work - and
have a discussion on rechartering. At that point, people should start
proposing WGs to the Applications Area Directors.

Not only sending proposed WG charters in the direction of myself an Ned, but more importantly a general plan for content distribution.

I would like to see a one-page paper (not much more is needed, or?) which talks about what different components exist in a content network.

A list such as (but it should fit together):

 - Distribution of data from origin server to copies within administrative
   control of the owner of the data
 - Distribution of data from origin server to copies outside of <above>
 - Preloading / load on demand of caches
 - Cache discovery
 - Routing of client to closest site with data
 - Switching of client to good server within site
 - Billing / charging / statistics collection
 - HTTP / HTML extensions for cache control
 - Continuation of work on taxonomy
:
:
:

You are the one doing the list, and you then tell what on that list should be handled by each of the proposed wg's. I am definitly not saying that you have to create wg's for everything (I rather see not :-), but what pieces you are going to work on, and what have to wait.

And, I want a list which you all in the "wrec" area agree on. Not one explanation from each one of you (which I have got so far :-). I.e. the stories have to fit together.

    Patrik