RE: Bake-off as trademark

2000-11-06 16:10:03
That gave me a lead on a better one:

Network Working Group                                          J. Postel
Request for Comments: 1025                                           ISI
                                                          September 1987

                          TCP AND IP BAKE OFF

How about that!

Brian

-----Original Message-----
From: Steven M. Bellovin [mailto:smb(_at_)research(_dot_)att(_dot_)com]
Sent: Monday, November 06, 2000 3:59 PM
To: Henning G. Schulzrinne
Cc: ietf(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org
Subject: Re: Bake-off as trademark

In message <3A071135(_dot_)38F7B7D8(_at_)cs(_dot_)columbia(_dot_)edu>,
"Henning G.
Schulzrinne" writes
:
I've been approached regarding the use of the (claimed-to-be)
trademarked term bake-off. It would be helpful if somebody
can provide
credible evidence that this term has been used within the technical
community for many years. (In case you didn't know,
http://www.bakeoff.com/ shows the non-technical use....)

It's used in RFC 1371, from October 1992.  Of course, that RFC also
says:

   The IAB/IETF are committed to a timely introduction of OSI into the
   Internet.

Anyway -- I seem to recall seeing the term in "TCP/IP Protocol
Transition Handbook", from circa 193, but my copy isn't conveniently
accessible at the moment.

              --Steve Bellovin

-
This message was passed through ietf+censored(_at_)alvestrand(_dot_)no, which
is a sublist of ietf(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org(_dot_) Not all messages are passed.
Decisions on what to pass are made solely by Harald Alvestrand.