Re: Useable video from meetings - was suggestion

2000-11-27 12:50:03

----- Original Message -----
From: Shirley Tseng <shirleytseng(_at_)earthlink(_dot_)net>
To: <ietf(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org>
Sent: Monday, November 27, 2000 1:50 PM
Subject: Useable video from meetings - was suggestion

Hi,

It sure would be nice for the IETF to offer webcasting of the meetings.
The
objective of 'ease of access to information' would be greatly serve if the
protocol and software package debate can be put aside...  If commercial
conferences like Comdex can be provided by CNET (See
http://www.key3media.com/comdex/fall2000/), the ISOC can webcast INET
conference (See notice below), and ICANN meetings are webcast and archives
available overnight (see below), why is the bar to IETF participation
still
having to deploy MBONE or have access to it?

..just a simple question...  If it is a money issue, perhaps student
volunteers from the local university or companies can donate their
services.

I have raised this issue many times, including on the floor of the open
plenary.

College students ALREADY are there providing video feeds onto the MBONE. The
problem is the MBONE doesn't reach the target audience. In the past this was
less problematic, as the universities and corporations able to connect to
the MBONE covered the core IETF activist audience pretty well. I doubt
that's true today.

Rather than volunteer efforts, I've proposed collecting and using real
dollars. Instead of an in-person attendance fee (which pays for the meeting
rooms, and the refreshments) I proposed we collect a telepresence fee to
help defray the costs of broadcasting the event with tools accessible from
ANY location on the Internet.

The IETF agenda is global.  The IETF operating principle is open access.
Any tool that can lower the barriar to participation would make sense...

I agree, as do many others, but nothing's happened in this regard beyond the
MBONE broadcast and archiving after-the-fact.

Just having useable archive webcast would be an improvement.  Technology
for
real-time humming and vote counting can come later!!!  (I am sure better
technology on vote counting will be very popular in the next year...)

Shirley Tseng
Infinite Global Infrastructures
stseng(_at_)ieee(_dot_)org

-- INET meeting archive