RE: What is the IETF? -- A note of caution

2000-12-14 20:50:03
But it's that word "representative" I find disquieting.

I second everything you said John.

How does the IETF prevent a "RAMBUS" type scenario where
a company sits in on IETF, copies the technologies,
patents them, waits for everyone to adopt them, and then
sues everyone for infringement?

This is very concerning to me.  I want so much to go hog
wild with new ideas and work for IETF, but I don't want
the work to be thrown against me in courts by a hidden
observer claiming the work to be proprietary.  The work
done in IETF should be unpatentable...

the question is.. is it?

I am sure it's been discussed before, can someone point
me to how the "RAMBUS" scenario is prevented?

Regards,

Kyle Lussier