Re: What is the IETF? -- A note of caution

2000-12-15 12:10:04
John:

Thanks for your wise comments; I agree wholeheartedly. In fact, I find myself agreeing with most of the people in this thread, who seem to think they are disagreeing with each other. As the person who apparently caused this dust-up, I feel I should add a note. The remainder of this note is addressed to my friends, those who work in the IETF. It is my opinion. Send flames privately.

I mention the corporate relationships of the Area Directors for a very simple reason. I think the companies that contribute the time of their employees to this activity are worthy of note. Speaking for myself, my employer has given me carte blanche, with only one proviso: when I travel somewhere on IETF business (which I don't even have to clear with my supervisor), they would like me to advise the local sales office and be available to visit a customer or two. Beyond that, for five years they have essentially underwritten my travel, equipped my office, and given my time and services to the IETF, cold stop. They even put together a special policy for my discussions with the media: Cisco employees, by company policy, do not speak with reporters except in the presence of a PR person, but I am required only to *copy* a PR person on comments I make to the media. Couple that with the opportunity costs - there is a lot of good work I could have been doing for my employer that I didn't do because I worked on the IETF instead, and I have some friends who have gotten angry with me for not doing one thing or another for them - and you can see that in my person Cisco is donating several hundred thousand dollars a year to the Internet. That is proportionally true of every Area Director and every IAB member, and of their companies. I think it is worthy of note.

I'll mention one person in this context who takes my breath away. Leslie Daigle is a private consultant. When she has asked, which is not often, I have underwritten her travel from a budget that the ISOC makes available to the IETF Chair. But for the most part, the time she spends on IAB and ICANN activities is her gift to the Internet community, one she makes with scarcely a comment and certainly without regret. I think that is worthy of note.

And let's not forget that while we come as individuals and contribute as individuals, our employers pay for that. I have worked for employers that required me to do IETF activities after hours, and considered attendance at meetings as boondoggles to be closely managed, and I have worked for more sensible employers, but in each case, my employer has underwritten the cost. That is not something to lightly brush aside.

I want you to think for a moment about other corporate benefits that apply. Yesterday morning, Jun Murai, Steve Coya, myself, and a fair set of supporting characters met to discuss planning for the IETF in Yokohama two years hence. In Japan, the cost of coffee (200-400 yen a cup) and snacks such as we routinely put in the hall is exorbitant. The WIDE Project is putting together a list of corporate sponsors to cover it - and companies are tripping over each other for their chance at the opportunity. I am frequently asked for time for companies to market themselves to this audience in one way or another, and I think you can guess what response they receive. But in Japan, there will be a sign on the table that says "goodies sponsored by the so-and-so corporation." I hope you won't whine about it. If you want to, I'll recommend that the Secretariat put vending machines in the hallways.

So, yes, perhaps I used the word "represent" inadvisably, and if so I crave your forgiveness. I certainly agree that we are here to make the Internet run well, not to advance corporate agendas, (although I have to tell you that corporations often have some notion of what it means for the Internet to run well). But to never mention the corporate involvement is, I think, equally unfortunate, and unfair.