RE: NATs *ARE* evil!

2000-12-15 12:30:03
Don't get me wrong, NAT is an odd booger to be sure, personally I think it
is another $BIG_SOFTWARE_COMPANY conspiracy ;-) But... they do not have the
same identity, when NAT occurs the device then bears a globally unique IP
address at least to all those with whom there may be a conflicting address
and those are the only ones that count. yes no maybe? It does not matter
whether you call the street my house is on Maple street or 4th street or
four streets down from main street as long as the Post Office (read NAT box)
knows what you mean
happy friday and merry holidays,
David H

-----Original Message-----
From: Valdis(_dot_)Kletnieks(_at_)vt(_dot_)edu
[mailto:Valdis(_dot_)Kletnieks(_at_)vt(_dot_)edu]
Sent: Friday, December 15, 2000 12:22 PM
To: Scott Brim
Cc: Keith Moore; Dave Robinson; M Dev; Sean Doran; ietf(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org;
iab(_at_)iab(_dot_)org
Subject: Re: NATs *ARE* evil!

On Fri, 15 Dec 2000 08:54:36 PST, Scott Brim said:
How much meaning does "Keith Moore" have?  Somehow we have a planet
with
billions of people on it and those who need to still manage to find
the
appropriate "Keith Moore".  How do they do that?  Are there any
lessons
to be learned?

The lesson to be learned is that we say "The Keith Moore that works at
UTK".

In fact, there's a word for when two people use the same exact
identifier -
it's called "identity theft" and usually makes life very difficult for
all
concerned - for many of the same reasons that 2 hosts with the same IP
address don't play nice.
--
                                Valdis Kletnieks
                                Operating Systems Analyst