Re: NATs *ARE* evil!

2000-12-19 16:30:02

On Tue, 19 Dec 2000, Mike Fisk wrote:

It's one thing to hand out addresses or names.  It's another thing to run
a top-level routing server that all of your children customers have to
route through to get to other top-level providers.  Your mapping between
the two would imply that, for instance, all traffic between europe and
japan would have to transit across a RIPE top server and a JPNIC top
server?

Only in principle. No more than typing http://www.nokia.com from Finland
would route the lookup to the .com root server in Washington D.C. Also,
you're misreading it as "all traffic" - it should be "all connection
request traffic".

Again, the hierarchical addressing is nothing new, but the fact that
you're tying routing to the same hierarchy will have new side-effects on
routing that need to be understood.

Spanning tree, faster but suboptimal logical path. You wouldn't want your
data to go that way.

Right now, routing is orthogonal to addressing and DNS naming.  You're

The orthogonality comes from the translation. The translation goes sideways
from the name service spanning tree. Secondly, it does not need to know
the global network topology or addresses. You still need IGP (or equivalent)
to supply the translation rulebase, but no BGP, so to speak.

removing addressing and tying routing to naming.  Now your name servers
have to route packets and be aware of peering relationships.  That has

No. Their job is only to compile connection requests, distributed fashion,
into the data paths. Peering relations would be presumably compiled by
IGPs for them, but that's as much as they need to have to get the connections
going.

Btw, I'm still working on some aspects of translation optimisation and
failure recovery, which will be critical if and when we try to apply it
on the Internet scale, and which I expect will reach a conclusive level
within the next few months. On the other hand, these aspects are not
critical for deploying over the existing Internet, or even for "addressless"
cellular Internet connectivity, for example, since the latter will be
routed through transcoding gateways for the foreseeable future in any case.

thanks,
-p.