Re: NATs *ARE* evil!

2000-12-20 15:40:03

On Wed, 20 Dec 2000, John Stracke wrote:

I say it's a weak form because I believe you are wrong in stating that "a
unique server host address does not exist".  The URL (ick) is an address
for the server; it's just a higher-level address than an IP address.

The "URLs" in my approach do not identify the server host, and it's NOT
a higher-level version of the IP address. See Section 2.1, which states
the extent of weakness, and 2.3.9 which charts the conditions under which
the information can be leaked to the client.

The fact that my "URLs" are not high-level host addresses was specifically
brought out at the ECUMN'2000 workshop-like conference, where the impact of
this development was so strongly felt that attention was drawn to this
right from the introductory plenary session.

The purpose of the architecture is not to provide security, however.

[ btw, what's (ick)? ]

thanks,
-p.