Re: 49th-IETF conf room planning

2000-12-20 14:30:03
On Tue, 19 Dec 2000 19:00:53 EST, RJ Atkinson said:
        I've seen others do similarly.  For example, I've
never run into Valdis at an IETF meeting, but he has an
impact.

If anybody's seen me at an IETF meeting, they were talking to a Klingon
impostor.  As John Beck will testify, I don't mind travelling - as long
as it's on somebody else's dollar.  I've just never had a convergence
of funding, personal time (little kids take up a lot of that ;), and a
large desire to get something done that I wasn't able to accomplish via
the mailing lists.

On the other hand - as many people have stated, a lot of the REAL work
gets done in the hallways and bars.  I recently attended a meeting in
Washington DC sponsored by the Center for Internet Security - the
meeting was for the most part a yawner except for one slide that took
all 4 of the VT contingent by surprise (but that's another story ;),
but the 45 minutes or so of random discussion after the formal meeting
was itself worth the 4 hour's drive each way.

But I've never figured out how to put the right spin on it so I don't
feel like I'm lying about why I'm going to an IETF...
--
                                Valdis Kletnieks
                                Operating Systems Analyst