Re: Denial of Service by Spamware?

2000-12-29 18:50:02
On Fri, 29 Dec 2000, Christopher Ambler wrote:

Is Exchange broken? Undoubtedly so. Is there a way that a clueful
user can overcome the break? Absolutely. Should the software be
"banned?" Of course not. If anything, unsubscribe those users who
can't take the trouble to ensure that their system, *regardless of the
software used,* works properly.

And back that up with a note "from the IETF" to the developers of the
software, describing its standards avoidance in exhaustive detail. Yes,
we've hashed over those details here on the list, but there's no guarantee
that the developers of any particular offensive code will be on this list
(which, perhaps, should say something, but...)

For the record, the offenders I've noted in response to my posts have
included Novell Groupwise, Lotus Notes, "Internet Mail Service", and
something I couldn't readily identify because it seemed to lack an
configured for braindamage "out of the box", though, because of all of the
vacation spam I've received over the years from Interop suits when posting
to those lists. Which would suggest either that there are more clueful
Notes admins running IETF list members' sites, or that there are fewer
IETFers behind Notes scramblers^H^H^Hgateways.

--
   Joy-Loving * Tripp Lilley  *  http://stargate.eheart.sg505.net/~tlilley/
   "There were other lonely singers / in a world turned deaf and blind

   - Kris Kristofferson, "To Beat the Devil"