Re: Denial of Service by Spamware?

2000-12-29 02:00:03
By my count, that's 7 to 3 in favor of "Internet Mail Service".

What is your count?

My count is 4 to 2 right now, but I have no reason to doubt you,
and believe that it will equal your count shortly.

Any system can be messed up.  I blame only the first of the four notices
from EKlein(_at_)ciena(_dot_)com on the perpetrator of "Internet Mail
Service".

Note that start of this thread concerned broken anti-virus junk to
supplement software that is designed to be a trojan horse and that you
guys seem to be saying is somehow related to whatever generates the
vacation notice noise.

Perhaps I gave the wrong impression, when I grouped the two together,
as it appeared that you were also commenting on the vacation notices
as well. My only point is that you seem to be looking at these messages
and coming to the conclusion that IMS should be banned as a result.

I don't agree, and merely wanted to point out that other mail systems
have the same problem. There is anti-virus software for Notes, too.
It seems to be better behaved, so Notes doesn't enjoy your attention.
To say that IMS is "designed to be a trojan horse" just seems a little
off-the-mark to me. I don't think even Microsoft deliberately designed
Exchange (which uses IMS - you were correct in this assumption) to
be a trojan horse. It has its problems, no doubt, but I don't assign
malicious intent. As I said, I worked for MS for a little over 3
years, most of them in Exchange (server), so I have a little first-hand
knowledge.

My only concern is that you were calling for the banning of email
software that I use, and I didn't think that was quite fair. Knowing
the software in question, it seemed pretty clear to me that this was
a case of user error. My virus scanning software doesn't send
return email. My vacation notices are configured to only send once
to each sender, and then only to senders on my "I'd like these people
to know I'm on vacation" list. I can't help but wonder why other
users haven't done the same. Nothing more, nothing less.

Peace.

Christopher