Re: Denial of Service by Spamware?

2000-12-28 14:30:02
From: Randy Bush <randy(_at_)PSG(_dot_)COM>

Anyone who has posted to the IETF list in the last week or two has
gotten literally dozens of "out of office notification" messages from
Microsoft Exchange clients. ...

i'll see ya' and raise ya' o ne better.  mailing list owners get the
appended from microsft corporate.  note the lack of information on which
addressee's mail is bouncing, but it tells me to "Verify that the recipient
address is correct."

I'll see that and raise yet again.  A few months ago, Novell was
sending similar, useless and uninformative delivery failure not to
list owners but to people who posted to the IETF list.

A list owner can often respond to such noise by removing all subscribers
with addresses at the idiot outfit.  That doesn't work when the listed
address at idiot outfit is actually for someone whose mail is being
forwarded from elsewhere (e.g. after changing jobs) and the idiot outfit's
bounces don't include headers with clues about the forwarding.  I've
seen that more than once in real life.

Although I know it's hopeless, I still say the right thing is for the
IETF to automatically unsubscribe anyone whose mail bears the tell tail
By tolerating the malware and being "inclusive" of those who insist on
abusing the rest of us with it, the IETF is sanctioning it.