Re: The Internet and the Law, the Economist, 13-19 January 2001

2001-01-15 15:40:02

Brian E Carpenter <brian(_at_)hursley(_dot_)ibm(_dot_)com> writes:
Keith Moore wrote:
Also, the risk of having your machine serial number leaked to the
net (as in stateless address autoconfiguration) is subtly different
from the inherent risk of having a stable IP address.  One might
quite reasonably be willing to accept the latter but not the former.

This is nothing to do with machine serial numbers; it's Ethernet addresses,
which are usually on swappable cards these days.

Mine is 004096333cf6; feel free to sell this number to the highest bidder :-)

  Brian

By the way, in practice, I find that stateless autoconf is a neat
trick, but not particularly necessary to run one's v6 network well,
and it often gets in the way. One doesn't want one's servers to change
IP address when one swaps their ethernet controllers.

I'm generally doing v4 style non-stateless addresses a lot these days.

Followups should probably go to some v6 list but I'm not sure which one.

.pm