Re: The Internet and the Law, the Economist, 13-19 January 2001

2001-01-16 08:30:01
On Mon, 15 Jan 2001 14:28:07 EST, Keith Moore said:
Also, the risk of having your machine serial number leaked to the
net (as in stateless address autoconfiguration) is subtly different
from the inherent risk of having a stable IP address.  One might
quite reasonably be willing to accept the latter but not the former.

And then there's the cases where you don't care WHAT your IP address is,
as long as your hostname is stable.  I really don't care *what* IP address
I get when I dial into our modem pool - what I need is to know that if
I start PPP at home, and come to the office, I can get at it using a
known hostname, rather than h80ad2428.async.vt.edu or something like that
based on the IP I got handed THIS time.

But that's a dynamic DNS issue....
--
                                Valdis Kletnieks