Re: The Internet and the Law, the Economist, 13-19 January 2001

2001-01-16 08:10:02
Greg Minshall wrote:

Brian,

i'm a big proponent of autoconfiguring using ethernet addresses, as well as in
stable IPv{4,6} addresses.

however ...

Mine is 004096333cf6; feel free to sell this number to the highest bidder
:-)

i wonder if you would be so quick to offer up your ethernet address if there
existed databases of accesses to various web sites (porn, say, or employment
agencies, or ...) keyed by ethernet address.

I doubt if that would bother me too much. There is plenty of profiling and
targetting
today, and I don't think this would change much.

  Brian