3GPP IPv6 identifiers (RE: The Internet and the Law)

2001-01-16 02:10:01
At 10:43 15/01/2001 -0800, Christian Huitema wrote:
By the way, don't we have a problem with the current plans in 3GPP, to
burn a unique identifier inthe mobile phones and to use it as the lower
64 bits of the IPv6 address?

If the identifier is a valid EUI-64 identifier, I don't see that as any different from putting an Ethernet card into an IP phone (no better, no worse). GSM phones have burned IDs that are sent over the air too - that is how the telephone operators can blacklist a stolen phone, even if the thief swaps the SIM card.

Ideally, the IPv6 privacy extension should still work, of course....do they?

--
Harald Tveit Alvestrand, alvestrand(_at_)cisco(_dot_)com
+47 41 44 29 94