Re: The Internet and the Law, the Economist, 13-19 January 2001

2001-01-16 22:00:04
Exactly. Even in this day and age, 56k modems get reset for any
multitude of reasons.

And although it would be *nice* if I had a static IP and thus my
connections persisted across a PPP reset (which I've had before, and
it *is* nice), it's in general not a scalable answer for modem pools.
Our site already has 2 /16s, and at least a /21 dedicated just for
the modem pool - but we'd need another /16 if we gave everybody static IPs.

having the equivalent amount of space to dole out should be no problem at
all with IPv6 :)

Keith