Re: Relation email - person (re: Mail sent to midcom)

2001-02-14 09:50:02
On Wed, 14 Feb 2001 22:25:26 +1100, Dassa <dassa(_at_)dhs(_dot_)org>  said:

I would consider such results the fault of the list maintainer and not
a fault in the email system.  Much like physical addresses used within
the postal system, anyone maintaining a list needs to provide a means
to maintain the validity of the data.  If the data is invalid it is a

Yes, crufty data causes a lot of bounces, and data should be cleaned...

But Harald's point was that *EVEN* in data *so* crufty that fully 1/4 of
it bounced because the destination was defunct, he had:

25.00%  defunct
 0.1%   duplicates (same person, different addresses)
 0.01%  wrong person

which is a pretty strong evidence of Harald's assertion:

|>The mapping address -> person is pretty strong, and mostly single-valued.
|>The mapping person -> address is multivalued, and getting more so.

One would expect that in "clean" data, these mappings would be even stronger.

--
                                Valdis Kletnieks
                                Operating Systems Analyst